Saturday, October 29, 2011

Schlafly dry hopped APA clone

Being a big fan of American pale ales (APA's) I'm always looking to find my next fav. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has held that title for quite awhile until recently being dethroned after tasting Schlafly's dry hopped APA at this years annual Music City Brewer's Festival. So of course I had to look for a clone recipe to brew this goodness myself. After searching I got some info on what malts and hops were used and tried my hand at putting together a recipe.
The results are pretty impressive. Without actually comparing the two side by side I'd say this clone is dead on. I was surprised at how well it has carbed after only being in the bottle for 9 days.

Here's the recipe for a 5 gallon batch:

Grains
11 lbs. 2 row pale malt
12 oz. Crystal 40

Hops
.75 oz Warrior (First Wort Hop)
1.0 oz Cascade (30 min)
1.0 oz Cascade (flameout)
1.0 oz Cascade (dry hop)
1.0 oz Chinook (dry hop)

Specifics
Mashed at 150* for 60 minutes
Boiled for 60 minutes
Pitched on a yeast cake from a previous APA (Safale US-05)

Gravity
Original Gravity 1.047
Final Gravity 1.005

I used my typical method of fermenting in the primary for 3 weeks, dry hopping in the primary for a week then transferring to the secondary for a few days to clear the beer out before bottling.

Fermenting schedule
Brewed on 9/17
Dry hopped on 10/7
Racked to secondary on 10/15
Bottled on 10/19

I will definitely be brewing this one again!


No comments:

Post a Comment