Saturday, January 28, 2012

Miller Lite clone

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. "Seriously? You make your own beer and you made Miller Lite?!" ML is one of the most popular beers served in America and I actually used to drink the stuff before getting into "real" beer. Basically I wanted to make something for guests that come over who don't normally drink beer or are used to watered down American lager like Bud Light or Miller Lite. And wanted to make it better than ML. Not sure if I'd call this better, it's different but certainly close. The color is more of a Bud or Michelob color, and not the slightly darker golden color of Miller Lite (when I waited tables this is how we could always tell the difference between a glass of Bud or a glass of Miller). You can taste the corn flavor (almost too corny) and the Cascade really shines through. Probably a bit too bitter for ML but I like it. Those that have tasted it so far have given it the thumbs up. If I brew this one again I'll probably cut the bittering hops to .5 oz, add a tiny bit a darker malt and cut down on the corn.

Batch size: 5 gal.

Grains
3 lbs. Pale malt (2 row)
1.75 lbs. Pale malt (6 row)
1.75 lbs. Flaked Maize


Hops
0.6 oz Cascade (60 min)
1.0 oz Cascade (flameout)
1.0 oz Cascade (dry hop)
(triple hopped!)

Specifics
Mashed at 150* for 60 minutes
Boiled for 60 minutes
Yeast: Safale US-05

Gravity
Original Gravity 1.033
Final Gravity 1.007
ABV ~3%

Brewed on 12/23
Dry hopped on 1/3
Bottled on 1/8




No comments:

Post a Comment