Monday, March 5, 2012

Parti-Tyme Porter

This was a variation of a recipe from the dude that got me started in brewing. It's his "Family Time Porter" that I beefed up a bit. It was actually my first parti-gyle brew (hence the name). The porter was from the first runnings and I made an APA from the second runnings, which turned out to be rather undrinkable. Anyway, the porter ended up being a hit. Everyone who has tasted it has said it's my best brew yet. It's not quite hoppy enough for my taste but I do enjoy it.
I didn't use a secondary for this one, just a month in the fermenter then straight to the bottle.
It pours with a pretty good head but it quickly goes away with minimal lacing. Probably would have had better mouthfeel if I would have used some flaked oats like I have with my other stouts.
With the big grain bill it clocks in at a whopping 7.4% ABV. Now that is party time!

Recipe for a 5 gallon batch:

Grains
15.25 lbs. Marris Otter
12 oz. Chocolate Malt
8 oz. Crystal 80
5 oz. Black Patent

Hops
.75 oz. Northern Brewer (60 mins)
.5 oz. Northern Brewer (30 mins)
.25 oz. Northern Brewer (2 mins)

Specifics
Mashed at 153* for 60 minutes
Boiled for 60 minutes
WLP002 English Ale Yeast

Gravity
Original Gravity 1.063
Final Gravity 1.006
ABV 7.4%

Fermenting schedule
Brewed on 11/21
Bottled on 12/23
(No secondary)

No comments:

Post a Comment